Halloween Craft: Paper Bats


Here is a cute way to dress up your house or classroom for Halloween. The bats body is a pocket of sorts... I think a fun way to use these would be to place painted chipboard letters that spell bat in the pocket. Depending how big you make these and how heavy your paper is you could think of some fun classroom uses for the bats or fill them with a little treat. If you made 7 or more you could use them as a count down to Halloween. If you think of a fun way to use them let me know... and as always send me your pictures or link so we can see what you've done!

I made a smaller one and used it to cover a lollipop! Instead of glue I just taped it on the back to make it easier to unwrap.


Supplies: Black Paper, Scissors, Circle Template (bowl, cup or plate...), Glue, Decorations for the eyes and mouth. We used googly eyes but you do not have to.

Trace two circles onto black construction paper or card stock. Use a bowl or plate. (The paper looks blue in photos but is really black.)

Fold in half then cut. You will need 3 half circles for this project.





Take one half circle. Lay in front of you with round end on bottom and flat end on top. See picture.

Fold in half to make crease. Then fold each side in forming a V crease.





When folded up it should look like this.








Turn over and glue flaps closed. Do not glue pocket shut.








Take the two half circles left and place them on top of each other. Cut wings using the photo as an example.







Glue or tape on to back of bat.

Glue on eyes and mouth.


Just a parting shot of how we used the witches hats as decoration. The silver ball -- the hat with the purple bow is sitting on -- is a paper mache balloon Lu made using silver tissue paper. The other hat is sitting on a snow globe of NYC we have out year round. The pumpkin picture is an old Halloween card Lu got her first Halloween - I framed it. The sign above I did not make I got it in Peddlers Village (Doylestown, PA - I think.)

I linked this post up to Amy's Monthly Round Robin over at Keeping Up with the Schultz Family. You can link up a project or just check out the other projects linked at Keeping Up with the Schultz Family.

23 comments:

Missy said...

I am liking the bats. They are very cute. I like using googly eyes on halloween things. Thanks for sharing.

xRhonda07x said...

Love Those Bats. Googly eyes are my favorite accessories in crafts. In my class we use them as much as we can.

krisz said...

They are so sweet!We gonna make them for sure!Thank you!

Amy said...

They look amazing. Cute Bats and hats. You can share them on Friday if you would like...

Bobbi & Noe said...

THESE are so cute!

Barbara Jean said...

What a cute craft with the bats.
Thanks for coming by today to see my "kinda lame blues".
Just wanted to join in. =0))

Nice to meet you. Barbara jean

Heidi Boos said...

Oh, what fun bats! I love that you can just make these cute things out of paper and even cuter that you used one to cover a lollipop! Thanks for joining for this month's craft challenge. I love seeing all of these new ideas!!

Tanielle said...

Sooo cute! I love the bats, and definitely need to do this with the kids. Thanks for the idea.

ETLcommunity member said...

These are some great fun activities. I really like these bats. Kids would love these things.

Ticia said...

Super duper cute. I love that idea.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That's super cute! I love the lollipop idea. I'll be linking.

maryanne said...

I love these - very cute idea!

Laura said...

cute bats! I love the idea so very very sweet.

Amy said...

Thanks for playing along this month...

Lisa Anne said...

These are so cute. I'm finally getting around to visit all the round robin links. I'm going to have to make these to add to my halloween spooktacular, which is posted today. Come check it out and steal some of my craft ideas. lol

krisz said...

Thanks for the easy step by step tutorail.We made your bats with my daugter.We decoreted a Halloween wreath with it.It was so much fun!If you would like to see the resault please wisit my blog.
http://szivarvanyvarazslat.blogspot.com/search/label/Halloween

crazymommy said...

Thanks for sharing this cute craft! My children had a wonderful time making these cute bats.

Anonymous said...

Hi
i'm Monica to Milan Italy
I did a post on my blog on your bat
bye
Moni

cynthiabogor said...

Love the googly eyes.....we made some, linked to your site!

Thanks

Janna said...

Hi there,

I'd love to include this craft in a roundup of Cute Halloween Crafts for Kids for iVillage.com's Pregnancy and Parenting section. Can you email me asap if that's ok? We'll mention and link back to your blog.

Mama King said...

Hi Janna, You didn't leave your contact info. You have my permission as long as there is a link and a credit. Thanks.

Sneddonia said...

Love these, I'll have to make some myself ^..^

Anonymous said...

Wow this is a great resource.. I’m enjoying it.. good article

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs